Monday, June 25, 2007

Another day, another dollar (literally)

My boss, Bill, is awesome. Overworked and underpaid, he works steadily and coolly, without losing it in a high-stress position. I would never, ever want a job like that. I have a mid-level job that is respectable but stressful enough as it is. Add to this a rough economy with customers who aren't buying right now. It makes being in sales frustrating and unusually difficult lately. So, I'm working my butt off, and trying to get my usually high stats back where they should be. Translated, the money will double once I do that. Bill is patient and doesn't push. He knows that makes me all the more stressed. I appreciate that.

This afternoon, I called Bill and we went over ways to help get me back where I was sales-wise. He said I need to get my confidence back, which is totally true. Just talking it over, after weeks of stressing about it, has helped. The rest of the workday didn't show improved stats, but tomorrow is another day. Our company is firing people left and right nowadays, nobody says I'm in any danger of losing my job at all, but still, I want to get the groove back to selling. This is a big company, selling products that aren't a necessity. When the economy takes a hit, impulse sales drop down and people become guarded of their money. I fully understand. Talking about that with Bill, he knows this is now an issue, and helped me to figure out how to address new concerns of our poorest customers. It helped tremendously. I am grateful and now have alternate ways of talking to customers, given the knew tools to do that. Sales is all about going with the flow. Ugh. I like things to stay the same, but they just don't. So, I take a moment to gripe, then let it go and start over. This is one of those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment