Saturday, October 18, 2008

Here's to Old Friends and Fun Times Together



Today I watched "Sex in the City" movie on Pay per View. I never saw the series before but the movie caught me up on who these women were and what they did. I guess it never appealed to me because Jimmy Choos and haute couture are way out of my price range, and I've never lived in New York city (just upstate during college, which is vastly different). I appreciate shopping, culture and class, but never liked Sushi or freaky hats. Still, this movie was great. It turned out to be more down to earth than I thought it would be and more relatable than expected. Who knew?!

Thinking back to my twenties and thirties, those carefree days of shopping mania, dressing up, going out and having fun with friends more than being serious about hard work, it was a whole lot of fun. I miss my Ohio female friends, like sisters to me, and the impromptu breakfasts at Perkins Pancakes at 2am (after going dancing at our favorite restaurant/nightclub, "Bomber", aka 100th Bomb Group). Linda Yee is like a sister to me, hopefully she'll get down here to Florida for a visit sometime. My moving away took me away from my great friends, the price paid for being adventurous and sometimes overly independent.

Now, my life is more grounded, focused hard on my business and that's ok. In the back of my mind, I'd like to get my old friends down here and go out to dinner, clubs and Sunday brunch. All of us have moved away, gotten married or other things. I never lost caring for any of my real friends, and will look up some when I visit Cleveland sometime. Boyfriends and husbands came and went, a mix of good and bad, but female friends were always a given. Watching this movie reminded me of those old times.

Today, in Florida's laid back atmosphere, dressing up is less necessary. I prefer shopping online to going to malls most of the time. It's less of a priority at this point, but the shopping gene is still there. My hair or nails aren't done as often as in earlier days but it's ok. It's kind of relaxing to just be in a natural environment, yet still big city in feel. My conquests now are taking great animal photos, finding new and interesting restaurants and attractions and just relaxing near the ocean. Still, that inner "wild child" is there. My brain isn't wired to feel older, that's no fun :) My friends are the same. Whenever work permits and it's safer to travel, it'll be time to travel abroad again - back to visit Mexico, England and hopefully Europe. Life is for living to the fullest. Sometimes it means working really hard, and others it means playing hard. I've been fortunate enough to be able to do both, and for that I'm grateful.

If you get a chance, see "Sex in the City". It may surprise you. It's not just about fashion and buying stuff. And, like me, it may spark great memories of fun times in days gone by with great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment